Five Points of Life Half, Gainesville, FL

Five Points of Life Half, Gainesville, FL
My first half marathon, 02/2006

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Shoes are Green

My running shoes are not green in color, but according to the November 2008 Runner's World magazine, my shoes are environmentally friendly. I have worn several brands of running shoes over the years, but my favorites have been the Brooks Radius and the Nike Air Pegasus 25. For the past two years, I have worn the Nike Air Pegasus 25 and have not been tempted to try something new. This week, I realized it was time for new shoes.

With a spring in my step and a smile on my face, I jumped in the car and headed on down to the local running store. For me, getting new running shoes is equated to being age 10 and waking up Christmas morning to a new bike. Call me strange. I also told my husband that the Garmin he gave to me and strapped on my wrist was like him putting a big fancy emerald and diamond ring on my finger.

So, I purchased my new shoes. They're a new color. A vibrant blue rather than pink. Although pink is my signature color, I like the blue. When I got home, I unboxed the shoes, got out my Sharpie marker and dated them. It helps me keep track of miles.

I will now have to go through my shoes and rotate them. Some will still stay on my shoe shelf in the laundry room as wearable knock-arounds. Some will get thrown into a basket in the garage and become yard shoes. Some may go into the trash. One pair of shoes that will forever remain on my shoe shelf is my pair of Brooks Radius that I wore in my first marathon.

I was up early this morning and decided to head out the door for a run before it got too hot. The full moon was beautiful. I was most excited to wear my new shoes. They felt great - nothing new, but just in time to start a marathon training program...hopefully!

1 comment:

markie said...

Only another runner can fully appreciate likening a Garmin GPS to a diamond ring! :) Also, getting new shoes is definitely like Christmas morning. I especially like that "new shoe" smell they have...